Is there an upgrade path from 32-bit to 64-bit?

We're finally getting rid of the last of our 32-bit hardware and now we would like to migrate all machines over to 64-bit. I explored this migration idea a couple years ago on the mailing lists and basically the answer was - don't know. The few who had tried said that the ended up with a running system but that it had some weird quirks every now and then. Has anyone managed to successfully migrate a system from 32-bit to 64-bit using either anaconda upgrade or yum upgrade without ending up with a lot of quirks? Is there some recipe for doing this successfully?

Regards,
Gerry