My first DontZap use case while testing F11 beta

Arthur Pemberton pemboa at gmail.com
Mon Apr 13 19:37:05 UTC 2009

On Mon, Apr 13, 2009 at 3:02 AM, Rahul Sundaram
<sundaram at fedoraproject.org> wrote:
> Orcan Ogetbil wrote:
>
>> I really don't know what to say. It feels like the probability of
>> burning my hair on the stove while sticking my foot in the freezer.
>
> Regardless of which default setting you prefer, the clear evidence is
> that people do end up doing it accidentally. It doesn't have to be a
> majority necessarily. I know atleast one such case personally where a
> friend of mine wanted to press control alt del and since the delete key
> was close to the backspace key, he accidentally pressed it. When (you
> are new to Linux ) you do it accidentally, the experience is apparently
> quite disturbing since you often lose data and there is no indication
> that it is a expected behaviour of the system rather than a crash.

I'm confused here. He was attempting to restart the entire machine,
and instead restarted the X server, and this is considered a
significant problem?

> Ctl-alt-del is a well know Windows shortcut for rebooting but atleast
> prompts before doing it (same thing happens in GNOME as well btw). I
> personally think that the SUSE patch is a decent compromise and it looks
> like fedora-setup-keyboard is going to make it a easy toggle in Fedora
> as well.

First of all, I'm not sure why what Windows does is really important.
I think as a general rule for using machine, one shouldn't generally
randomly press buttons -- on purpose or by accident -- and expect it
to be all okay.

That said... when did Ctrl+Alt+Delete stop rebooting? I just tried it
and was surprised to see a dialog box instead. I remember using that
key combo way back since RH 7.3, I just rarely needed it.

--
Fedora 9 : sulphur is good for the skin
( www.pembo13.com )