GCJ requirements

Andrew Haley aph at redhat.com
Thu Apr 16 09:33:28 UTC 2009

Jesse Keating wrote:
> We've had openjdk for a bit now, and even on ppc.  Still a number of
> things require gcj which means we wind up with a number of java runtimes
> being installed on people's systems (and hogging space on the media).
>
> $ sudo repoquery --whatrequires libgcj
> ecj-1:3.4.2-4.fc11.x86_64
> kawa-1:1.9.1-8.fc11.x86_64
> gcc-java-0:4.4.0-0.34.x86_64
> sinjdoc-0:0.5-8.fc11.x86_64
> libgcj-src-0:4.4.0-0.34.x86_64
> java-1.5.0-gcj-0:1.5.0.0-25.fc11.x86_64
> libgcj-devel-0:4.4.0-0.34.i586
> libgcj-devel-0:4.4.0-0.34.x86_64
>
> This is a bit hard to capture all the things that require gcj and
> wouldn't be satisfied by openjdk.  Is there a plan to move some/all of
> these to openjdk, will there ever be a point where on x86/ppc we can
> just have openjdk as the JRE and leave gcj as an optional install?

Well, all the gcj packages obviously require libgcj.  These are:

> gcc-java-0:4.4.0-0.34.x86_64
> libgcj-src-0:4.4.0-0.34.x86_64
> java-1.5.0-gcj-0:1.5.0.0-25.fc11.x86_64
> libgcj-devel-0:4.4.0-0.34.i586
> libgcj-devel-0:4.4.0-0.34.x86_64

The ecj package is a gcj-accelerated version of javac:

> ecj-1:3.4.2-4.fc11.x86_64

kawa is a gcj-based LISP implementation:

> kawa-1:1.9.1-8.fc11.x86_64

sinjdoc is a gij-based version of javadoc:

> sinjdoc-0:0.5-8.fc11.x86_64

OpenJDK, while technically correct, is not really fast enough to use on most
non-x86 systems.  We are working as fast as we can to get OpenJDK JIT-compiling
working on PPC systems.

Andrew.