Re: My first DontZap use case while testing F11 beta

On 04/16/2009 05:34 PM, Adam Williamson wrote:
On Thu, 2009-04-16 at 10:35 +0200, Lars E. Pettersson wrote:
On 04/15/2009 08:59 PM, Adam Williamson wrote:
Haha :) No, it's just that, as far as I can see, the impact on newbies
is that we tell them to reboot instead of doing ctrl-alt-backspace.
Yes, but why?

I don't *care*. Stop trying to argue with me. My only position on this
is it really doesn't matter as much as you all seem to think it does. I
don't care if it stays the way it is or gets patched, I just wish
everyone would quit wasting time bikeshedding about it.

OK, so we should just sit here doing nothing when we see a change that *we* consider bad? Nah, better to speak up, I think.

You have the notion that this does not matter, but I, and apparently quite a few others, think it does.

Yes, they can just reboot, pressing ctrl-alt-del instead. But wait, that is another shortcut that people accidentally can press. Should we "zap" that one also? If not, why should we zap ctrl-alt-backspace, but not ctrl-alt-del? And if we zap both, they have to press the reset button, or switch the computer off and on again, a process that might cause loss of data, and even file system problems.

So my thinking is that this really matters.

Sure, a user might press ctrl-alt-backspace accidentally, but me feeling is that this is *not* such a recurrent event that we should remove a very useful function/keystroke from the system.

/Lars
--
Lars E. Pettersson <lars homer se>
http://www.sm6rpz.se/