Getting rid of /usr for F12?

Kevin Verma kevinverma at fedoraproject.org
Fri Apr 17 07:11:29 UTC 2009

On Fri, Apr 17, 2009 at 5:28 AM, Lennart Poettering
<mzerqung at 0pointer.de> wrote:
> Heya,
>
> there's one topic that keeps popping up in various discussions: can't
> we get rid of /usr? The seperation of / and /usr doesn't make much
> sense anymore. We could make /usr a symlink to / for an interims phase
> and everything would be good for conservative folks who think the FHS
> is the holy bible.

By practice separate "/" provides a minimal system that sysadmins
trusts will work when anything in "/usr" breaks. Also a minimal
filesystem that is quick & easy to repair/restore and can even remote
mount a "/usr" if needed.

You are asking to clutter "/" , What are you really trying to solve ?
maybe you should work to settle standards for $HOME first that is the
major pain area for a non-conservative user.

~conservatives