Getting rid of /usr for F12?

Ric Wheeler rwheeler at redhat.com
Fri Apr 17 17:51:39 UTC 2009

Andrew Haley wrote:
> Lennart Poettering wrote:

>>> This is a very short-sighed view.
>> Oh, is it?

>>> Religiousity isn't the point - The point is: There are reasons for why
>>> the FHS rsp. the GNU standards are setup the way they are.
>> First of all FHS is not a "GNU standard".
>>
>> Secondly, it is of course very convincing if you just nebulously say
>> 'there are rasons' instead of mentioning any.
>
> Well, sometimes the fact that something *is* standard is far more important
> than what the standard is.  And /usr has been around for a very long time,
> and lots of software (an people, for that matter) know that it's there.
> Much of the GNU configured software by default installs in /usr/local.
> There has to be a very high bar for changing common practice.
>
> Andrew.

I can't help chiming in here - as a sys admin back at Brandeis in the early
eighties, I had a professor with root privileges try to "fix" the spelling of
"usr" for us on the department Vax running BSD.

Needless to say, not much worked when I got in the next morning to find my
"/usr" had been renamed "/user".

Not sure how much would break today, but at relative dawn of UNIX time, it was
painful :-) (And I revoked he lost root access, tenure or not)

ric