Fwd: LCD patches

Behdad Esfahbod behdad at behdad.org
Fri Apr 17 19:00:06 UTC 2009

On 04/17/2009 02:54 PM, psmith wrote:
> Adam Williamson wrote:
>>> Those patches do not contain any subpixel antialiasing code, they
>>> just call
>>> the freetype LCD filter when it's available. There is no actual subpixel
>>> antialiasing being done if it's disabled in freetype. In fact, those
>>> patches even REMOVE hardcoded subpixel filters, in favor of using the
>>> freetype ones.
>>
>> In that case, as someone said in the bug, they should probably just go
>> directly upstream. It does seem like a sensible way to do things,
>> though.
> omg could it actually be :-O something from ubuntu actually going upstream!

The meat of patches were written by David Turner, one of the core developers
of FreeType, and then improved by other cairo contributors on cairo bugzilla,
and I added final touches before committing it (which was reverted later).
Ubuntu just happens to be shipping with them...

> i never thought i'd see the day lol

Sorry to disappoint you.

behdad