Getting rid of /usr for F12?

Lennart Poettering mzerqung at 0pointer.de
Fri Apr 17 23:28:30 UTC 2009

On Fri, 17.04.09 15:16, Jeff Spaleta (jspaleta at gmail.com) wrote:

> On Fri, Apr 17, 2009 at 3:11 PM, Lennart Poettering
> <mzerqung at 0pointer.de> wrote:
> > Oh, it makes a lot of sense. I mean, most config files are only
> > touched during installation and during package upgrades. Otherwise
> > they are practically read-only. During package upgrades or if the
> > admin really wants to change something he can temporarily remount / to
> > rw without a problem. This is eprfectly well supported by Debian.
>
> Hmm I guess we need to redesign how denyhosts works as a service as
> its default operation is to edit /etc/hosts.deny..quite frequently.
>
> Should I file a bug report now?

I am not aware that it was an official Fedora goal to make it boot
from a ro /. Would be good if it was, though.

However, no daemon should ever touch files in /etc automatically. That
NM does that is pretty bad style. Instead resolv.conf should be
replaced by a symlink to /var and manipulated there.

Lennart