Re: VirtualBox guest additions prevent usage of kernel deltarpm

Jonathan Dieter wrote:
On Fri, 2009-04-17 at 14:09 -0400, Andre Robatino wrote:
When the VirtualBox guest additions are installed for a given kernel, this apparently modifies the files modules.alias.bin, modules.dep.bin, and modules.symbols.bin in the corresponding kernel package, so the kernel deltarpm can't be used, and the full kernel package must be downloaded. Considering that this is a common situation, and that these files are much smaller than the entire kernel package, is there any way this can be worked around, so the drpm can be used? (VirtualBox doesn't seem to have any utility for removing guest additions, so I haven't tried that.)

The easy way is to mark those files as %config.  Then deltarpm won't try
to delta those particular files.

Is this something that needs to be applied to the kernel package? Should I file a bug?

Jonathan

P.S. It's not just VirtualBox.  If you use any kmods, I think you'll run
into this.