changelog format

Kevin Kofler kevin.kofler at chello.at
Tue Apr 21 01:12:42 UTC 2009

Jussi Lehtola wrote:
> I don't know how official the guideline at
> http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/PackageMaintainers/Join
> is, but it states that the CVS changelog format is the same as for the
> spec file changelog.

Well, I paste in the spec file changelog in most cases, but for something
like "fix typo", I'll use freeform sentences in the CVS log and write
nothing into the changelog (unless the typo was bad enough to warrant
building a new release just to fix the typo, then of course I have to write
why I made the new release). (This seems to be pretty close to what David
Cantrell and Jon Ciesla also do, based on their comments.)

Of course I could commit with a blank commit message, then it'd match the
specfile changelog exactly, but blank commit messages suck, they should be
banned from the face of the Earth!

        Kevin Kofler