Can we have a Delta-DVD release

James Gallagher jbgallagher2000 at yahoo.co.uk
Tue Apr 21 04:08:09 UTC 2009

No, there is no tool which does that, but I bet I could write one. Rather than trying to fiddle the current delta-rpm procedure to do this it could be done naively using similar techniques: each rpm from F11 release iso is compared against corresponding rpm (if it exists) in F10 release iso, essentially by unpacking and calculating diffs for each component in the rpm package. Then repack only the components that have changed and append to a list components that can be retrieved from rpms on the f10 release. I bet even doing that would give a substantial saving.

I'll do a test when F11 final comes out and see if I can get the x86_64 DVD deltas below 1gb. The rest of the iso is only ~300mb mainly from two files: I'm not sure if a useful delta between the (binary) boot.iso and stage2.img files can be created, but it seems mathematically feasible