2009-04-21 - Fedora Test Day - Minimal platform

Ondrej Hudlicky ohudlick at redhat.com
Tue Apr 21 09:01:35 UTC 2009

James Laska wrote, On 04/20/2009 11:03 PM:
> Greetings testers,
>
> Calling all package gurus and dependency junkies!  The Fedora 11
> MinimalPlatform feature [1] aims to provide a tiny installation package
> set by identifying unwanted deps from @Core and related groups.  As
> described in the feature page, the benefits to Fedora include:
>
>       * Security - lower the attack surface by installing only necessary
>         packages
>       * Performance - faster installation and less running services
>       * Storage - installation is less than 500MB
>
> There will also be several new tools available to help navigate
> dependencies, including rpmreaper and rpm2comps.
>
> Come join #fedora-qa this Tuesday, April 21 2009 to help put an end to
> deps creep.  Test cases and a Fedora live image will be available to aid
> testing. Stay tuned for more details are available at
> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Test_Day:2009-04-21_Minimal_Platform.
>
> Thanks,
> James
>
> [1] https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Features/MinimalPlatform

Join us today, we have lot of work to do :)

Side goal of this event is also to open discussion and as an output
improve set of best practices how to handle with dependencies and
subpackages. This is partly defined in packaging guidelines, but just
for -doc -static -devel. I might be beneficial to implement wider and
stricter rules.
Ideally if some rpmlint plugin can check whether the srpm is correctly
divided into subpackages.

--
Ondrej