FOSS needs a central bug tracker

Mark markg85 at gmail.com
Tue Apr 21 18:45:24 UTC 2009

On Tue, Apr 21, 2009 at 4:20 PM, John5342 <john5342 at googlemail.com> wrote:
> 2009/4/21 Callum Lerwick <seg at haxxed.com>:
>> On Tue, 2009-04-21 at 03:04 +0100, John5342 wrote:
>>> What i would be interested in though is some kind of standardised api
>>> implemented in all the major bug trackers so other things can be
>>> easily implemented on top of them such as semi automated up-streaming
>>> of bugs. Making use of something like OpenID would reduce the multiple
>>> login issue.
>>
>> +1 the Open Source world fixing the Single Sign-on problem would go a
>> long way towards solving much irritation. I suppose it's a matter of
>> getting everyone to support OpenID...
>
> The good news with getting everyone to support openid is that most
> people use some version of one of a limited number of bug tracker
> systems such as bugzilla or trac. A quick google shows there is
> already some work being done on making bugzilla support openid. If a
> few more trackers work on it then we will be well on our way towards
> convincing individual projects to use it.

OpenID is indeed a solution to one of the problems (multiple bug
reporting accounts). But that would only work if:
1. All bug trackers support OpenID
2. all currently using a bug tracker update to a version that uses OpenID.

>From the reply's so far i see that fedora (or the ones that did
respond) would like the idea but have a hard time believing that
something this massive can be done.
So. do you guys think i can start trying to contact the top 10
distributions and see if i can get them all together on one place to
talk about it (just an irc channel somewhere) or would that be a waste
of time to do?

Thanx so far,
Mark.