Re: development packages and multilib

Callum Lerwick <seg haxxed com> writes:
> On Tue, 2009-04-21 at 03:07 +0200, Kevin Kofler wrote:
>> Of course this breaks horribly if the binary is something like kde4-config
>> (you'll want kde4-config --libsuffix and the like to return different
>> results for 32-bit or 64-bit builds), and we don't have a good solution for
>> that. (Yes, kde4-config is an ELF binary, not a script.)

> Because KDE always has to be different and inevitably manages to Do It
> Wrong.

So, I suppose you can tell me how to do it better?  mysql-config and
similar programs have the same issue, so I'm awaiting your wisdom
with bated breath.

Actually the only reason that mysql-config is a binary and not a script
is that there doesn't seem to be any other good way for it to know which
word-width it's supposed to return results for.  This is one of the main
problems with trying to do software builds in a multilib environment.

			regards, tom lane