Re: development packages and multilib

On Tue, 2009-04-21 at 18:14 -0400, Orcan Ogetbil wrote:
> This is only for preventing file conflicts between RPMs. Honestly, as
> I said before, I really don't understand the need of keeping different
> arch devel packages in the same system at the same time.

Why would you need to avoid conflicts if you're *not* going to install
them both at the same time?

> Just remove one and install another. You can even write a simple
> script to do this. Create a local repo if you are worried about the
> time loss.

Why would I want to run a root command that screws with my root
filesystem as part of my edit-compile-test cycle?

$ gcc -O2 -Wall -m32 hello.c -o hello
$ file ./hello
./hello: ELF 32-bit LSB executable, Intel 80386, version 1 (SYSV),
dynamically linked (uses shared libs), for GNU/Linux 2.6.18, not
stripped
$ ./hello
Hello world!
$ gcc -O2 -Wall -m64 hello.c -o hello
$ file ./hello
./hello: ELF 64-bit LSB executable, x86-64, version 1 (SYSV),
dynamically linked (uses shared libs), for GNU/Linux 2.6.18, not
stripped
$ ./hello
Hello world!
$ i686-pc-mingw32-gcc -O2 -Wall hello.c -o hello.exe
$ file ./hello.exe
./hello.exe: PE32 executable for MS Windows (console) Intel 80386 32-bit
$ ./hello.exe
Hello world!
$ mipsel-uclibc-gcc -O2 -Wall hello.c -o hello
$ file ./hello
./hello: ELF 32-bit LSB executable, MIPS, MIPS-II version 1 (SYSV),
dynamically linked (uses shared libs), not stripped
$ qemu-mipsel -L /opt/brcm/hndtools-mipsel-uclibc/ ./hello
Hello world!

Why must you insist on making my life more difficult than it already is?
Why do we even bother having an -m32 flag in gcc if we're not going to
use it?