Independent Fedora bug tracker

Basil Mohamed Gohar abu_hurayrah at hidayahonline.org
Wed Apr 22 16:57:22 UTC 2009

On 04/23/2009 12:51 AM, Mike McGrath wrote:
> On Thu, 23 Apr 2009, Basil Mohamed Gohar wrote:
>

>> Is Bugzilla so hard to manage, though?  Is the data really that enormous?
>>

> "I don't know" and "I don't know"  which is why I can't say "yes we can do
> that" or "no we can't do that"

I didn't really mean those questions for you, but rather, they're
somewhat rhetorical.  The impression I'm getting is that Bugzilla is
some kind of mammoth app that requires a huge investment of resources to
run & maintain.  I thought it was just an enterprise-level bug tracker.
It's deployed quite widely.
>> Another example that comes to mind, though definitely not apples-to-apples,
>> was the migration from MoinMoin to MediaWiki.  Yes, I realize Bugzilla does
>> much more than a wiki does, but I witnessed a lot of the process of that
>> migration, and yes, it's still ongoing, and there was stumbling along the way.
>> But the community really came together on that and helped-out.  I also realize
>> that currently, Bugzilla is much more of a core app to both Fedora&  Red Hat
>> than the Wiki is or likely ever will be.  But the concept of migrating a
>> system is not new to Fedora.  The key is how can we leverage the community to
>> help with it
> Lots of pre-work went into that to determine its feasibility.  With
> bugzilla we're not even at the "could we" stage, we're still at the
> "should we try" stage of which I only play a small part of.
>
> 	-Mike

It is my sincere hope that this thread will bring the "could we" stage
just a little bit closer by getting more eyes on it and more minds
engaged in it.