Can we have a Delta-DVD release

James Gallagher jbgallagher2000 at yahoo.co.uk
Wed Apr 22 20:11:34 UTC 2009

--- On Wed, 22/4/09, Gerd Hoffmann <kraxel at redhat.com> wrote:

> From: Gerd Hoffmann <kraxel at redhat.com>
> Subject: Re: Can we have a Delta-DVD release
> To: "Development discussions related to Fedora" <fedora-devel-list at redhat.com>
> Date: Wednesday, 22 April, 2009, 9:36 AM
> On 04/22/09 00:14, James Gallagher
> wrote:
> > Now a question for anyone: does the F11 beta release
> contain lots of
> > debug code and if so would you expect the final dvd to
> have a smaller
> > delta iso?
>
> Unlikely.
>
> > And one further point: wouldn't this be particularly
> useful for
> > successive test releases, alphas, beta,
> release-candidates, since the
> > deltas would be tiny.
>
> That probably would work out much better, yes.  One
> could try F11-alpha -> F11-beta to figure.  There
> was the mass rebuild inbeetween though, so these delta size
> probably is higher than usual.  F11-beta ->
> F11-prerelease should give a more realistic picture.
>
> cheers,
>   Gerd
>
> -- fedora-devel-list mailing list
> fedora-devel-list at redhat.com

Don't have a F11 pre-release, but I found the Fedora 11 Alpha x86_64 iso
image and ran a makedeltaiso for that against the Beta. It came out at ~1.9GB,
not much different to the F10-F11 delta (2.1GB)

Out of interest, and since it was mentioned above, I also tried jigdo,
downloading F11 Beta and using F11 Alpha as the "old" disk, it was useless!
It said only 10 of the 3006 for the template were found, and then proceeded
to download practically the whole DVD, I stopped it at ~ 3.5G.

So, looks like the deltaisos provide about 50% saving. If anyone can test
F11 Beta against a pre-release candidate that would be appreciated.

Jamesa