Independent Fedora bug tracker

King InuYasha ngompa13 at gmail.com
Thu Apr 23 08:29:07 UTC 2009

On Thu, Apr 23, 2009 at 2:11 AM, Arthur Pemberton <pemboa at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Apr 22, 2009 at 10:42 AM, Basil Mohamed Gohar
> <abu_hurayrah at hidayahonline.org> wrote:
>
> >  3. Red Hat Bugzilla is SLOW.  I'm serious.  It's that big of an issue
> >     for me.  I hope having our own would make it "go faster".
>

> How slow is it? And how is moving to a new buzilla going to help with
> that? I use it regularly enough, I haven't noticed anything special
> about it of late.

How had you not noticed how slow it is? For me, on average it takes
approximately 2.5sec to load a page. Red Hat Bugzilla takes approximately
15-20sec to load a page. This gets really bad when you consider the number
of pages you go through to get stuff done in the bugzilla. However, I
severely doubt Red Hat or the Fedora Project will allow the separation of
bug trackers at this time for the simple reason that Fedora bugs are often
tied to Red Hat bugs. All Red Hat people would have to do is tag a bug for
RHEL in addition to Fedora. This kind of bug tracking simplicity is
something I doubt they would be willing to give up.

In any case, it might be a better idea to move off of Bugzilla and to
something else. I would like to suggest Mantis Bug Tracker (
http://mantisbt.org). It is quite nice in my experience and it even has
scripts available to migrate from Bugzilla to MantisBT. In my experience, it
is closer to the average page load that I usually get than Bugzilla, taking
at most 5sec to load a page with it being less than 3sec most of the time.