Re: FOSS needs a central bug tracker

On Tue, Apr 21, 2009 at 12:39 AM, Mark <markg85 gmail com> wrote:
> I was just reading the latest distrowatch weekly and there was an
> interesting article posted there about a centralized bug tracking

Insanity :-)

It's worth following what Canonical is doing with Launchpad's Malone:
adding the ability to link to bugs in other bugtrackers -- and report
events "locally" about bug state changes in the remote bugtracker
("upstream says: fixed in 2.3.3").

With a bit of elbow grease, xmlrpc, rest or ugly screenscraping of the
main bugtracking tools (bugzilla, malone, jira, trac, etc) and some
good thinking of how to "loosely couple" workflows that are likely to
be different, something really good could be put together. A bit like
blog trackback/pingback work.

Also -- I notice a few OpenID supporters on this thread. OpenID is
currently _not_ good, usable or safe infrastructure for the Web. Ben
Laurie has done the most complete analysis of this so far, and we
cannot have a reasonably sane/safe OpenID until browsers support it
natively.

I'd say Ben's writings on this are required reading for any OpenID
implementor (me included).

Please get webbrowser support for safe OpenID to be widespread before
considering it for serious infra.

cheers,

 martin langhoff gmail com
 martin laptop org -- School Server Architect
 - ask interesting questions