Fedora 11 nerfed my mixer

Stephen Warren s-t-rhbugzilla at wwwdotorg.org
Thu Apr 23 22:30:31 UTC 2009

On Thu, April 23, 2009 11:46 am, Callum Lerwick wrote:
> On Thu, 2009-04-23 at 08:41 +0100, David Woodhouse wrote:
>> And the response to Stephen's need to control bass and treble speakers
>> individually was stupid too -- you _don't_ want to just tie them
>> together. Depending on what he's playing, he might need to adjust the
>> relative volume of bass vs. treble. That's not an unreasonable desire.
>
> You abstract it and present it in the UI as a volume slider and a "tone"
> slider.
>
> hwvol = vol;
> bassvol = vol * tone;
>
> Which is the kind of stuff PA *should* be doing. But Stephen is a fringe
> nutjob for owning such uncommon hardware, and PA is never going to
> support it.

You have got to be freaking kidding me???

This is a major brand laptop - Dell Inspiron, not some bizarre uncommon
piece of HW.

Also, this used to work perfectly back in F8 or F9, and regressed (like
pretty much everything in Fedora).

And, FYI, I didn't come up with the WAR, but found it here:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=101386#6

So at least a number of other people have the same issue...