Fedora 11 nerfed my mixer

Adam Williamson awilliam at redhat.com
Fri Apr 24 02:17:33 UTC 2009

On Thu, 2009-04-23 at 22:00 -0400, Orcan Ogetbil wrote:

> 1- I repeatedly told folks that I DO NOT OWN THIS HARDWARE. I am just
> maintaining the kmod because nobody else does and people need it. I
> would be more than happy to give it away to someone who owns the
> hardware and can do tests.
>
> 2- The issue has been reported and the package will not be pushed to
> stable. If you are using rawhide, you should get used to such things.

I know. The point is just about the appropriate way to respond to
problems.

> I don't want to respond to this. Foul language belongs to its speaker.

Yeah, as I said, I had you confused with Callum (and Lennart and
Bastien...) who'd been swearing their way through the thread. Very sorry
for that, entirely my fault.

> > there, that didn't help anyone, did it? It's a bug. I'll go and
> > investigate a bit more later, and then I'll file it in the correct
> > location. I will not chase you down on mailing lists and denigrate your
> > hard work with expletive filled messages, and I suggest you refrain from
> > doing the same to others in future.
> > --
>
> I do appreciate your work and your time spent on this. But swallow the
> big bite. IT DID NOT WORK. So, please for the good of humanity, kill
> this package.

I see I'm not the only one who gets confused :). I don't work on
Pulseaudio. I can barely fix a typo in a Python script, never mind hack
on sound architecture.

My only work on it has been running it for a long time (since it was
called PolypAudio) and complaining (constructively) to Lennart and Colin
Guthrie when something went wrong, and acting as a conduit for bug
reports from others. I just think it's fundamentally a project with most
of the right goals (even if I try and influence things here and there,
like in this debate) that we really need. Linux audio was a giant
horrible ball of pain before PulseAudio; in many ways it's still a giant
horrible ball of pain now, but PulseAudio is one of the bits that is
helping to get that changed. I don't think throwing the baby out with
the bathwater is the right idea.

> If you are using firefox, just start typing "pulseaudio is..." on the
> search bar with google engine. You'll see what suggestions it will
> give you along the way.

I spend large amounts of time in the places where such things get
posted, I know all the "pulseaudio is..." lines. However, I also
remember before Pulseaudio came along, there were just as many "Linux
is...." lines caused by people frustrated with the crappy way in which
sound is/was handled. I get as frustrated as Lennart does by people
whose first response to *any* kind of sound issue on *anyone's* system
is "oh, you need to remove Pulseaudio" - that kind of thing just isn't
helping anywhere. A lot of the anti-Pulse sentiment is multiplied by
this kind of thread to the point where people who never actually had any
problems with Pulse at all are parroting it all over the place. Pulse
has some problems, but it's also made a lot of things a lot better (I
wouldn't run my system without it now), and it'll continue to move in
the right direction in future.
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey