just lost my pipe

Hi,

as you might know, on german keyboards, the | symbol is created by
pressing AltGr and the key right to the shift key.
In my last session on my f11 thinkpad (r61) I just lost that symbol.

AltGr - <ANYOTHERKEY> worked, so did < and > on that key. Only | was
gone. Reboot fixed that.

Any idea what subsytem (kernel, X) to blame for that? Any idea what I
can do to dig deeper into this?

regards

christoph