Fedora 11 nerfed my mixer

Fri Apr 24 17:59:57 UTC 2009

> On Thu, 2009-04-23 at 11:50 +0530, Rahul Sundaram wrote:
>
> > Thank $deity. Very few people really want to fiddle with that many
> > controls. That UI is clearly not a sane one.
>
> Of course they don't, but given the choice between "have to suffer
> through poking all those controls in order to get audible sound / record
> from an external device" and "not be able to get audible sound or record
> from an external device", I think most people would prefer the former.
> No-one's saying the previous situation is perfect, the point is that the
> new system is missing functionality that is blatantly needed, which will
> be experienced (and is *already* being experienced) by many many users
> as a severe regression.
>
> I don't think anyone wants to lose the new volume control, or even for
> it not to be the default. All I'm asking for is for *some* old-skool GUI
> mixer to be installed alongside it by default so those who need to poke
> those controls will be able to find a reasonably usable app to do it
> with.

Yes, please. It is necessary to have a gui alternative for the cases
where the new, better, shinier thingy does not work.

The thread seems to be looping:

start:
a: please keep the old gui mixer as an alternative
b: just use alsamixer
a: but the gui mixer was working, why do I have to use alsamixer?
b: no it was not working (insert image of mixer with 23567 controls)
a: but it is working, I start it and it shows the controls and it works
b: no it does not (another image of a case which is complicated)
a: but I need it, why do I have to use alsamixer now?
b: you are mis-using things
loop:
a: no I'm not
b: yes you are
goto loop: for a while
[degenerates into name calling and four letter words]
goto start:

It's all about layers of support. Adding a new, simpler layer of support
does not mean you have to drop older, still functional layers, that take
care of corner cases you state you are never going to support.

-- Fernando