FESCo Meeting Summary for 20090424

Christopher Aillon caillon at redhat.com
Fri Apr 24 23:28:23 UTC 2009

On 04/24/2009 03:13 PM, Kevin Fenzi wrote:
> == PulseAudio regression handling ==
>
> Long and contentious discussion about concerns with the VolumeControl
> feature. FESCo decided to get gnome-alsamixer packaged and added to the
> default desktop live/install spins to allow users whos use cases are
> not covered currently by VolumeControl to have a GUI way to adjust
> mixer settings. Hopefully this will be dropped/revisited in F12.

Wearing my Board hat, I'll give a quick history lesson: changes were
mandated to codeina a few releases ago post feature freeze.  The changes
would have made codeina more acceptable for Fedora's stance on freedom,
however that change was reversed by the board because it was mandated
post feature freeze, and it was agreed future mandates, if any, would
come down pre-feature freeze, but we should not be in the business of
giving mandates.

So, can someone tell me how mandating this is more important than
mandating Fedora be free, and why this decree should not be reversed?
Do I really need to bring this up at the next board meeting?