The Great Pulseaudio Mixer Debate: a modest (productive) proposal

Adam Williamson awilliam at redhat.com
Sun Apr 26 18:02:34 UTC 2009

On Sun, 2009-04-26 at 19:50 +0200, Lennart Poettering wrote:

> > And that's _just people running F11 pre-releases who are sufficiently
> > motivated to complain about it_. That's a very high level of complaint
> > reporting within such a small group. Multiply it out to everyone who
> > will use the final F11 release and what you have is an extremely large
> > group of users.
>
> I am pretty sure those 21 reports you are speaking of have the same or
> maybe two or three different hardware models. Fixing the alsa db once
> for all three of them is clearly more constructive than pushing in a
> second volume control tool.
>
> After all F11 ain't released yet. Fixes like adding more entries to
> the db should certainly still be possible.

I don't share your confidence :). But certainly they should be fixed,
and I'll be making sure they're properly identified and reported to
either b.r.c or ALSA. But also credit me with a little foresight.

I would be extremely surprised if the release of F11 - the first general
audience release with this new mixer - does not expose many more
manifestations of this type of bug. Once we've had one general audience
release to flush all those bugs out of the woodwork and get them all
*fixed*, we can drop the fallback mixer, as I've been saying all along.
But I think if you want to believe that when we release F11 to the vast
variety of audio hardware in the world, we'll only see two or three of
this kind of bug...you're taking a very Panglossian outlook.
--
Adam Williamson <awilliam at redhat.com>
Red Hat