Re: Things to do this week instead of arguing about mixers

Eric Sandeen wrote:
> Now that we have ext4 as the new default filesystem, it'd be nice if we
> can get more applications to take advantage of some of the features.
  [snip]
> Only a few applications are taking advantage of [preallocation] so far,
> in part because it's new.

And in part because the compatibility issues are a pain.  If a compiled
binary app uses fallocate(), then the app requires glibc >= 2.9.90.
fallocate() is not an exported symbol in glibc-2.9.  The app won't run
on Fedora 10, or almost anything except Fedora 11, until it is re-compiled
to avoid calling fallocate().