Re: Things to do this week instead of arguing about mixers

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: Re: Things to do this week instead of arguing about mixers
From: Eric Sandeen <sandeen redhat com>
To: Development discussions related to Fedora <fedora-devel-list redhat com>
Date: 04/27/2009 03:53 PM

You're missing the point here, I think.

Try downloading a large (multi-gigabyte) torrent on ext4 or xfs or
btrfs; see what the resulting file layout looks like if your client does
not preallocate.  Now use a client that preallocates the space and try
again.  Calling fallocate() first for the full file size will help on
all these filesystems (well, TBH, I have not tested it on btrfs).

If there are well-defined interfaces to give hints to the filesystem
about the ultimate state of a file, it's a nice feature, not a bug.

Sure, filesystems should do the best they can in the absence of hints,
but performing well (or better) _with_ a hint is not indicative of a bug.

I apologize. I'm a rambling idiot. Please carry on without me.