Re: Things to do this week instead of arguing about mixers

Eric Sandeen wrote:
  - rpm? (file installation and/or db files?)

The rpmdb is a bunch of db4 files. In don't think I want to interfere with the db4 engine...

I am not really sure whether preallocation offers that much benefit for file installation. May be if there is a parallel process also writing to the disk heavily - but such processes should probably have their own partition/disk. Would preallocation make sense for tar?

Let's ask the other way round: What are the costs of preallocation for - say 2M files with 50GB overall content?

Florian