Things to do this week instead of arguing about mixers

Florian Festi ffesti at redhat.com
Wed Apr 29 12:44:00 UTC 2009

Michael Cronenworth wrote:
> [...]

The reason for this is quite obvious: RPM does first install the files of a
package to disk and then update the rpmdb. This is repeated for each package
to keep the rpmdb as close to the file system as possible. This means that
the rpmdb grows for each package installed while there are other files
written to disk in between.

Of course rebuilding the rpmdb fixes the fragmentation.

So, yes, rpmdb is a good candidate for further tweaking - possibly with pre
allocation (nevertheless tweaking the db4 settings is prior on my list).

So another question: Is there a way to free no longer needed preallocated
disk space again?

Florian