Kernel built from source stuck during boot

Markus Kesaromous remotestar at live.com
Sun Aug 2 20:05:25 UTC 2009

> Date: Sun, 2 Aug 2009 21:46:35 +0300
> From: schaiba at gmail.com
> To: fedora-devel-list at redhat.com
> Subject: Re: Kernel built from source stuck during boot
>
> Markus Kesaromous wrote:

>>> Date: Sun, 2 Aug 2009 18:15:49 +0300
>>> From: schaiba at gmail.com
>>> To: fedora-devel-list at redhat.com
>>> Subject: Re: Kernel built from source stuck during boot

>> It stops after it displays the USB keyboard and mouse devices (per console output).
>> The keyboard is responsive when it hangs. The driver echoes whatever I type.
>> But no other effects are evident from typing. For example ^C simply echoes ^C. After waiting about 30 minutes, I had to Ctrl-Alt-Del to reboot.
>>
>> Thank you for your help.
>>
>> MK

>> Windows Live™: Keep your life in sync.
>> http://windowslive.com/explore?ocid=PID23384::T:WLMTAGL:ON:WL:en-US:NF_BR_sync:082009
>>

> Try unplugging them (the usb keyboard and mouse) by using ps/2
> peripherals and see if that occurs again and where, please.
>
> --

I have recompiled and re-installed the kernel with only one change:

I unchecked the config option  for Opteron/Athlon64
and checked the config option which sets i586 cpu type.
I saved and quit xconfig.

Diffing the new .config file against the previous one:
$ diff .config.sav .config
4c4
< # Sun Aug  2 07:56:07 2009
---
> # Sun Aug  2 12:47:01 2009
209c209
< # CONFIG_M586 is not set
---
> CONFIG_M586=y
219c219
< CONFIG_MK8=y
---
> # CONFIG_MK8 is not set
236a237,238
> # CONFIG_X86_PPRO_FENCE is not set
> CONFIG_X86_F00F_BUG=y
240a243
> CONFIG_X86_ALIGNMENT_16=y
242,244d244
< CONFIG_X86_USE_PPRO_CHECKSUM=y
< CONFIG_X86_TSC=y
< CONFIG_X86_CMOV=y
246d245
< CONFIG_X86_DEBUGCTLMSR=y
253d251
< # CONFIG_X86_DS is not set

 I recompiled , installed and rebooted.
All went well.

I am sorry that i could not re-boot the non functioning kernel
because I had to get something working. So at this time I am
not so keen on rebuilding the kernel with the older .config file
because it takes so darned long to compile the kernel.

My understanding now is that when compiling for x86 32 bit type of
architecture, AND your cpu is AMD 64, do not choose the AMD 64
type of cpu during config.

Perhaps I am wrong - but I had to do something to get up and running.

As soon as I clear up some important work out of the way, I WILL
retry  and build using the old config, and reboot with the USB devices
unplpugged,  and get back to you. Just gimme a couple of days please.

Best regards,

MK