KDE vs. GNOME on F10

Richard Hughes hughsient at gmail.com
Wed Aug 5 10:02:04 UTC 2009

2009/8/5 Josephine Tannhäuser <josephine.tannhauser at googlemail.com>:
> KDE 4.3 will come to F11 and F10. It's a cool thing.
> There aren't updates like this for Gnome. Why not?
> F10 with Gnome 2.26 sounds fine to me.

Because I don't want to _support_ the latest and greatest GNOME on old
versions. A lot of the GNOME stack would require updating core system
stuff like gtk+ and glib2, and when you've done that you might as well
be running F11. I don't mind merging small patches from upstream to
fix specific bugs, but new code brings new bugs, and that's not
something a typical F10 user wants to cope with. In my opinion, if you
want newer functionality, you should just upgrade to F11.

Richard.