KDE vs. GNOME on F10

Josh Boyer jwboyer at gmail.com
Wed Aug 5 12:01:44 UTC 2009

On Wed, Aug 05, 2009 at 12:23:12PM +0200, Thorsten Leemhuis wrote:
>On 05.08.2009 12:02, Richard Hughes wrote:
>> 2009/8/5 Josephine Tannhäuser <josephine.tannhauser at googlemail.com>:
>>> KDE 4.3 will come to F11 and F10. It's a cool thing.
>>> There aren't updates like this for Gnome. Why not?
>>> F10 with Gnome 2.26 sounds fine to me.
>> Because I don't want to _support_ the latest and greatest GNOME on old
>> versions. A lot of the GNOME stack would require updating core system
>> stuff like gtk+ and glib2, and when you've done that you might as well
>> be running F11. I don't mind merging small patches from upstream to
>> fix specific bugs, but new code brings new bugs, and that's not
>> something a typical F10 user wants to cope with. In my opinion, if you
>> want newer functionality, you should just upgrade to F11.
>
>I don't want to get between the lines here (there are good arguments and
>against updating Gnome and KDE for older releases) and I hate buzz-words
>like "Corporate identity", but I find it more and more odd that one
>doesn't know what to expect from Fedora, because similar sized things
>(KDE and Gnome) are handled quite differently.

Short of passing a policy that says no major desktop upgrades for stable
releases, I don't see this changing.  If we did pass that, I have a feeling
it would piss off a lot of people.  Passing the converse (always upgrade)
would piss off just as many.

I'm not that enthralled with starting a "who do you want to piss off today?"
campaign for Fedora.

>Further: The behavior changes to much IMHO -- one reason why I use
>Fedora at home and work and suggested it to others were the major new
>kernel versions that got delivered as regular update. But that doesn't
>really work anymore since half a year or something: F-10 is still on
>2.6.27, 2.6.29 sits in Updates-testing for ages; 2.6.30 is out for
>weeks, but no sign of a update for F-11 apart for a few commits in CVS. :-(

I haven't followed it that closely days.  However, being on the bleeding
edge kernel isn't what it used to be.  Yes, 2.6.30 has been out for a while.
But I believe we currently wait until at least the .1 release (which was still
out a while ago).  Right now, .4 was just released on Jul 30.  Having a bit
of patience to see if the kernel is a lemon or not is pretty prudent IMHO.

>A more common look and feel to the outside world and a more reliable
>update scheme IMHO would be good for Fedora, as people would know what
>to expect. Ohh, and it would prevent discussions like this ;-)

Some of us tried that.  We got critcized for it pretty heavily.

josh