Re: KDE vs. GNOME on F10

On 08/05/2009 04:11 PM, Adam Williamson wrote:
The question is whether Fedora intends to be a distribution suitable for
day-to-day general purpose use by people who are not necessarily that
interested in Fedora per se - whether it's got an aim to be a
general-purpose operating system like other distributions do - or not.
That's the only framework in which you can sensibly answer whether we
want a stable update set or not, to my mind.

What does a "stable update set" mean? Does it mean updates which don't break ABI/API? Does it mean backporting patches and not permitting new versions as updates?

I seriously doubt that anyone is pushing updates simply to push them in the current Fedora model. Maintainers are pushing updates because they feel there is a reason, a bug fixed, a security hole closed, a significant feature enhancement that users want (or that they think users want).

Without a finer definition here, it's all just hand-waving.

~spot