KDE vs. GNOME on F10

Adam Williamson awilliam at redhat.com
Wed Aug 5 23:59:00 UTC 2009

> On Wed, 2009-08-05 at 14:26 -0700, Adam Williamson wrote:
> >
> > Well, I think it's really the same issue. The problem is one of
> > expectation: we have two similar components, GNOME and KDE, in the same
> > distribution, following different update polices - GNOME favours stable,
> > KDE favours adventurous. This confounds expectation.
>
> I don't know that this is really the case.  KDE is rolling up a bugfix
> release.  Gnome does bugfix releases.  Other than a difference in how
> they number them, is there really that big of a difference in what they
> are doing?

It's not a bugfix release, it's a bit ingenuous to describe it as one.
KDE make major changes between 4.x and 4.y. The bugfix releases are one
level down. 4.2.1 vs. 4.2 is a bugfix release, but 4.3 vs. 4.2.1 is not.
It's exactly the same as the GNOME situation - 2.24.1 vs. 2.24.0 is a
bugfix update, 2.26.0 vs. 2.24.1 is not. Most distributions would not
bump KDE from 4.2 to 4.3 in their stable update repositories.

--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey