KDE vs. GNOME on F10

Adam Williamson awilliam at redhat.com
Thu Aug 6 16:43:03 UTC 2009

On Thu, 2009-08-06 at 09:24 -0400, Josh Boyer wrote:

> >We either have to make it clear which policy we use and which policy we
> >don't, and hence which theoretical user base we are not targeting, or
> >take on extra work and try to satisfy both. I am not declaring myself in
>
> Actually, we could do nothing and be just fine.  Let the users decide if and
> when and what they want to update.

Doing nothing is an implicit choice in favour of the adventurous option,
with the disadvantage that we don't come out clearly and say it.

It's rather hard to choose 'if and when and what' you want to update on
a system that you only really talk to once a week that otherwise just
sits there and does its job. For instance - a server, or a home theater
box. I have both of these types of system. They're set to auto-update
once a day, I don't spend my life logging into them by SSH, poring over
the update list and deciding what to install. I can do this because the
conservative update policy of the distribution they run gives me
confidence that the updates won't break the things. I couldn't do that
with Fedora, as there's no policy to give me the confidence that
automatically updating such systems won't break them. As I've said, this
isn't a _problem_ per se, but it means Fedora has a particular identity
that we don't seem comfortable talking about - 'let's pretend not to
make a choice' - for some reason.

See what I mean? No choice is a choice.

--
Adam Williamson