KDE vs. GNOME on F10

Adam Williamson awilliam at redhat.com
Fri Aug 7 02:20:52 UTC 2009

On Thu, 2009-08-06 at 15:53 -0500, Matthew Woehlke wrote:
> Adam Williamson wrote:
> > Same question for KDE - someone writes a tool for their group based
> > on some KDE libraries, doesn't expect an update to come along and do
> > a major KDE version bump and break some interface the tool relied
> > on...
>
> KDE would generally consider it a bug if that happened (API compat
> broken by a non-major* update), unless it was an interface that already
> had a big "BC/SC not guaranteed" warning label.
>
> (* major = e.g. KDE3 -> KDE4)
>
> There may be situations in which such a break would be done anyway, but
> there would have to be a strong argument why such change is so critical
> as to warrant a compatibility break.

It seems to happen rather a lot for that to be the case, though maybe
the situation I'm most familiar with (KDE 4.0 -> 4.1 -> 4.2) is an
unusual situation. I was watching KDE quite closely in MDV at that
point, as quite a lot of features that people expected from 3.x were
missing, and I remember, for instance, that someone was trying to get
kmilo (for multimedia keys) working on 4.x, they had to port it to 4.0,
then port it to 4.1, then to 4.2...

as I said, I suppose this could just be because 4.0 didn't quite have
everything settled down yet so some major changes still had to be made
for 4.1 / 4.2. I'm not enough of an expert on KDE to be sure. But we're
getting bogged down in specifics again :)

--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey