Re: Make upstream release monitoring (the service formerly known as FEVer) opt-out?

On Fri, 2009-08-07 at 14:25 +0200, Till Maas wrote:
> >> I don't get how you might even expect more bureaucracy from some status
> >> website. What do you think this website might be? It will not require
> >> anybody to look at it, but provide the information to interested people.
> > [0] says "write a regex", "opt-out" would mean forced interaction with
> > your website, "opt-in" would mean "registration".
> >
> > All in all, I read this as "bureaucracy".
>
> Up until now I felt like I undertood you, because as I understand you
> here, you are agains anything being opt-out, even if the majority of
> package maintainers would use the service?

Just simple misunderstanding.

Ralf, this entire service is informational only.  Maintainers don't need
to do anything with this information, particularly if it isn't being
filed as bugs and only provided on a webpage.  They can simply ignore
the information or even pretend that the website doesn't exist.  The
"opt-out" that Till is talking about is that by default, his service
would manage every package it is capable of.  A maintainer would have to
opt-out of having their package monitored.  But again, even if the
package /is/ monitored, they don't have to do anything with that
information.

There is no bureaucracy here, just potentially useful information a
maintainer can choose to look at or not.

--
Jesse Keating
Fedora -- FreedomĀ² is a feature!