Atention browser maintainers - Docs dropping homepage

John J. McDonough wb8rcr at arrl.net
Thu Aug 13 17:26:48 UTC 2009

For several releases, Docs has maintained a module called homepage, which
provides /usr/share/doc/HTML/index_(lang).html.  The original idea was to
have something to display when the computer is offline.  As far as we can
tell, the only browser still using this is lynx, presumably the others have
dropped it because is just isn't a good idea to make the user think he is
online when he isn't.

I found 15 browsers to check in Fedora 11 and none seem to use this except
lynx, but there is always a possibility there are other browsers I didn't
discover or some browsers use this file under conditions I didn't explore.

If you need this file, let me know, but I think it is preferable to not do
this.  If lynx really needs this capability, it would probably be better to
include it in lynx so that the message can be tailored for the browser.

--McD