Package groups vs "metapackages"

Bryan O'Sullivan bos at serpentine.com
Thu Aug 13 19:53:59 UTC 2009

I've been working recently on bringing Fedora up to snuff as a platform to
build Haskell software on:

https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/SIGs/Haskell#Haskell_Platform_support

In my ideal world, it would be possible to install all of the necessities
for decent Haskell development via a single short command line. I can see
two ways to do this:

   - Create a "haskell-devel" (or something) package that simply depends on
   all of the Haskell Platform's component packages. This would have the nice
   property of being versioned, just as the Haskell Platform itself is.
   - Create a "Haskell Development" group in comps. This is unknown
   territory to me: I don't know if it's a good idea, how it would work, how
   I'd edit it to add new dependencies when the Haskell Platform gets updates,
   or ... well, anything.

What's the collective wisdom about the best approach for doing this?

Thanks,
Bryan.