Empathy default in F12?

Gregory Maxwell gmaxwell at gmail.com
Sun Aug 16 22:02:20 UTC 2009

On Sun, Aug 16, 2009 at 3:40 AM, Rahul
Sundaram<sundaram at fedoraproject.org> wrote:
> On 08/16/2009 01:05 PM, Gregory Maxwell wrote:
>> The F12 feature still indicates the switch to Empathy as a default IM
>> client in Fedora.
>>
>> However, the talk page for the feature
>> (https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Talk:Features/Empathy) raises material
>> concerns that the switch to Empathy would result in an insufficiently
>> justified loss of functionality.
>>
>> Where does this currently stand?
>
> My understanding is that Empathy is still planned to be the default.
> What specific concerns do you have?

For me? It doesn't support OTR. Which is basically a non-starer for
me. Thanks to the robust support in whatever client is popular in OSX
plus pidgin on windows every single one of my contacts is OTR-enabled.
 Pushing people back to eavesdropping vulnerable IM is arguably
unethical and not something that I'm going to do.

But since other people may not care about that (i.e. Empathy
developers mock people who want confidentiality, i.e.
http://resiak.livejournal.com/60614.html ),  I thought I'd see if I
had any other concerns.

Testing rawhide I found that it doesn't appear to have file transfer,
which isn't a feature I use much but I know its important to other
people.

Cheers!