Confusion with openal-soft

Adam Williamson awilliam at redhat.com
Mon Aug 17 19:13:55 UTC 2009

On Mon, 2009-08-17 at 00:30 +0900, Mamoru Tasaka wrote:

> On F-10/11 the whole rebuild is not preferable, however it seems that
> actually openal-soft is also needed on F-10/11 to fix some bugs
> (bug 515109). So on F-10/11, it was decided to make openal and
> openal-soft installable in parallel (not making openal-soft obsolete
> openal) and make openal-devel and openal-soft-devel in conflict (not
> making openal-soft-devel obsolete openal-devel) to avoid mass rebuild.

It's usually possible to have the devel packages co-exist by renaming
the new library (make it libopenal-soft.so). This may require a small
patch to any app you want to build against the new version (make it look
for libopenal-soft instead of just libopenal), but I think this is
preferable to conflicting -devel packages.
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey