Firmware licence question

Andy Gospodarek gospo at redhat.com
Thu Aug 20 14:03:22 UTC 2009

On Thu, Aug 20, 2009 at 03:51:04PM +0400, Pavel Alexeev (aka Pahan-Hubbitus) wrote:
> I very want see this driver in Fedora:
> http://dag.wieers.com/rpm/packages/dkms-tiacx/
> This is free and even packaged, so no problem there...
> May be except what it dkms? But it have not kernel modules (I known what
> it is not permitted) and built automatically on install phase.
>
> But it depend on http://dag.wieers.com/rpm/packages/acx111-firmware/ and
> http://dag.wieers.com/rpm/packages/acx100-firmware/ binary firmware
> images.
>
> So, I want maintain all this packages in Fedora. Main question - it is
> permitted? It will not be blocked as FE-legal?
>
> With best wishes, Pavel Alexeev aka Pahan-Hubbitus.

Here is what you need to do:

1. Have the driver and firmware pushed to the upstream kernel.  If it
goes upstream, it will generally be acceptable to Fedora.

2. Have the driver enabled on the rawhide kernel config.

3. Make sure the firmware gets included when building the
kernel-firmware package in rawhide.

4. What for the base version for rawhide kernels to make their way into
Fedora.