Broken dependencies in Fedora 11 - 2009-08-20

Toshio Kuratomi a.badger at gmail.com
Fri Aug 21 03:39:34 UTC 2009

On 08/20/2009 11:41 AM, Toshio Kuratomi wrote:
> On 08/20/2009 04:18 AM, Josh Boyer wrote:
>> On Thu, Aug 20, 2009 at 10:19:39AM +0100, Peter Robinson wrote:
>
>>> Is it just me or are there some packages that seem to be eternally on
>>> this list? beage/f-spot/tomboy never seem to go anywhere.
>>
>> They're eternally broken on ppc64.  Mostly due to Mono being broken on ppc64.
>>
> It should be the opposite.  Mono runs on ppc64 but some maintainers need
> to update the ExcludeArch/ExclusiveArch that is preventing their
> packages from being built on ppc64.  Once those packages are fixed,
> their dependent packages will be able to run as well.
>
> I'll go through and start updating packages to stop excluding ppc64
> since I'm tired of seeing mschwendt's report be ignored.  However,
> people who really care about mono need to step up and start taking care
> of this stuff.  I don't own or use any mono packages and I'm not happy
> with the patent licenses so I don't want to keep working on these packages.

As Michael Schwendt found, there were two update sets that contained a
large number of mono packages.  The packages were grouped in sets so
they would update together due to mutual dependencies.  The problem that
arose is before they were pushed from testing to stable, one package
from within each set were updated.  This caused bodhi to mark the whole
set as obsolete and remove them from the testing repo.

Two things have been done to help with that this time:
1) lmacken has disabled auto-obsoleting in bodhi until he can look into
making it more intelligent.
2) I submitted each of these updates individually.  I'll take care of
pushing them all to stable at the same time.

Most of these rebuilt packages had not been touched since Xavier updated
them originally.  The others had been updated, but the package versions
that they're based on were already in stable.  I hope to push these
packages to stable rather quickly (next week) to reduce the window where
maintainers who aren't paying attention can push updates to staging that
rely on the ppc64 packages in testing.

I've updated both F-11 and rawhide branches to build for ppc64.

-Toshio