Re: Plan for tomorrow's (20090821) FESCo meeting

On Fri, 2009-08-21 at 15:39 +0200, Jochen Schmitt wrote:
> On Thu, 20 Aug 2009 22:10:59 -0400, you wrote:
>
> >238	Can libvdpau go in Fedora?
>
> As far I understand this package itself is open source but has a
> dependency to the properitary nVidia video driver which is
> provides by rpmfusion.org.
>
> For this reason I vote agains the inclusion of this package into
> Fedora because I introduce a requirement reference to a
> third-party repository.

I think there's precedents for accepting it for Fedora:

- libXNVCtrl, another X extension library that happens to only do
anything when the user is running the nvidia binary driver, but which is
itself MIT-licensed.

- gstreamer-plugins-flumpegdemux, which allows you to separate the audio
and video streams from MPEG files, even though the decoding itself is
off-limits for Fedora

It happens that only nvidia implements VDPAU at the moment, but so what?
Any other vendor could too.

- ajax