Re: Plan for tomorrow's (20090821) FESCo meeting

Am 21.08.2009 15:57, schrieb Adam Jackson:
> On Fri, 2009-08-21 at 15:39 +0200, Jochen Schmitt wrote:
>> On Thu, 20 Aug 2009 22:10:59 -0400, you wrote:
>>> 238    Can libvdpau go in Fedora?
>> As far I understand this package itself is open source but has a
>> dependency to the properitary nVidia video driver which is
>> provides by rpmfusion.org.
>> For this reason I vote agains the inclusion of this package into
>> Fedora because I introduce a requirement reference to a
>> third-party repository.
> I think there's precedents for accepting it for Fedora:
> - libXNVCtrl, another X extension library that happens to only do
> anything when the user is running the nvidia binary driver, but which is
> itself MIT-licensed.
> - gstreamer-plugins-flumpegdemux, which allows you to separate the audio
> and video streams from MPEG files, even though the decoding itself is
> off-limits for Fedora

- From my point of view. This cases demostrate, that we need a
clarification about
the requirements which a package has to fullfill for inclusssion into

Package which are only useable if you have installed a package which
is not part
of Fedora may not allow for Fedora. This is the argument why we not
eumulators. In common emulators requires special ROM images which contains
copyright content.
> It happens that only nvidia implements VDPAU at the moment, but so what?
> Any other vendor could too.
> -
A made dicision may not be valid forever. If we will have got a
opensource package
which allow the usage of vdpau with the close source driver from
nvidia we can change
this dicision.

Best Regards:

Jochen Schmitt