Re: fedora-pkgdb: make it discoverable on browser home page?

On Mon, Aug 24, 2009 at 4:31 PM, Michel Salim<michael silvanus gmail com> wrote:

> How much of the work done on online-desktop will be carried forward to
> this?

In this context, the GNOME 3 shell will automatically track
application usage data; more precisely, "time spent with X focus in a
window of the application", where application is defined as ".desktop
file".  It's a bit away though.

With nontrivial work this could be done for GNOME 2 as well (if
someone was interested in porting the code, it lives in
http://git.gnome.org/cgit/gnome-shell/tree/src/shell-app-monitor.c ).

The current use of the data is just for shell-internal usage like
sorting applications (in search results, session restart, etc.).  If
we wanted to use it as a basis for showing application popularity we'd
need some way to opt-in to making your data public.  My suggestion
would be that we take the current Smolt screen in firstboot and turn
it into a generic "join Fedora Feedback" page which turns on things
like:

* Smolt hardware profile
* Sending of tracebacks to a crash collation server (for the love of
all that is holy, not bugzilla)
* Shell application usage data
* Other stuff?

In case anyone is feeling voyeuristic I've attached my current
~/.gnome2/shell/application_state file.