ktorrent adds kdm - Re: Orphaning packages

Michael Schwendt mschwendt at gmail.com
Tue Aug 25 18:39:30 UTC 2009

On Tue, 25 Aug 2009 10:01:39 -0400, Ben wrote:

> Oh dear, run for your lives. Last I used GDM, I didn't know
> where to change the session type (I was looking). I haven't used
> it in over a year since it's one of the first things to get
> replaced on my systems. Looking at a screenshot with solar[1] I
> see a restart, a shutdown, a power, and an accessibility button.
> Nothing about sessions. Certainly not visible at least. So I
> fail to see why this would be any issue at all. What am I
> missing?

Users, who discover what software is being offered, who know how to switch
the session type, and who will notice that the installed KDE is incomplete.
As if the admin had messed it up. Customising the personal desktop and
choosing between either GNOME or KDE is one of the first things many users
do. They even go as far as replacing the window manager, if alternative wm
are available.

On your fully private machine(s) it may not be an issue at all, I agree.