Re: showing dependency trees

25.08.2009 01:26, Björn Persson wrote:
Seth Vidal wrote:
On Sun, 23 Aug 2009, Björn Persson wrote:
I want to check whether a package drags in other packages
unnecessarily.
define "unnecessarily"?

When you're forced to install package A to be able to install package E even
though E doesn't use any of the functionality that A provides.

For example, Michael Schwendt demonstrated that ktorrent pulls in qt-mysql,
which in turn depends on mysql-libs. That's OK if Ktorrent can actually do
something that results in queries to a MySQL database. Otherwise it drags in
the MySQL client libraries unnecessarily – that is, I should be allowed to
install Ktorrent without installing the MySQL client libraries.
Gold words! I think likewise too!