Re: Some ideas/questions about yum

On 08/28/2009 02:47 PM, Seth Vidal wrote:
no - I think it'll be hard to argue why we need 20K pkgs in a single repository. Or hell, why we need 20K pkgs AT ALL.

Dream on!

> ls -1 /mnt/archive/fedora/development/x86_64/os/Packages/ | wc
18382   18382  708766

Not yet counting http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Features/TeXLive

So we are already real close to 20k packages in one repository. Separating them into different repositories doesn't help much anyway (lowers the quadratic overhead a bit, though).

When I am talking about another order of magnitude I mean 100k packages, btw. I would love that your argument would even apply to that number but I am not sure actually...

May be we as upstream devs of the tool chain should just limit the number of packages and packaged files by decree ;)=

Florian

Reg. Adresse: Red Hat GmbH, Hauptstätter Str. 58, 70178 Stuttgart
Handelsregister: Amtsgericht Muenchen HRB 153243
Geschaeftsfuehrer: Brendan Lane, Charlie Peters, Michael Cunningham,
Charles Cachera