livecds in the future

Sir Gallantmon ngompa13 at gmail.com
Tue Dec 1 15:42:44 UTC 2009

On Tue, Dec 1, 2009 at 9:23 AM, Peter Jones <pjones at redhat.com> wrote:

> On 11/30/2009 01:27 PM, Peter Jones wrote:
> > On 11/30/2009 12:27 PM, Matthias Clasen wrote:
> >> 3. 'Chain-booting' from cd to usb sounds like an elegant way to avoid
> >> the 'Can't boot USB' problem. Did we figure out how Mandriva are doing
> >> it ?
> >
> > No, we didn't. There are some things we might be able to do here, though,
> > which may solve this problem without actually "chain-booting". The most
> > obvious is to make sure the live image's initrd searches for a USB device
> > with the right filesystem label (and possibly other criteria) and mounts
> > that as root, and then build a liveboot.iso with one boot image and no[1]
> > real filesystem. The boot image would contain the kernel and initrd as
> > the only boot option.
> >
> > This is fairly trivial to do, actually.
> >
> > [1] It'd have to have an iso9660 filesystem with the isolinux/ directory
> > much like our current boot.iso does, but the kernel and initrd there
> would
> > be the ones from the live image, and we wouldn't put the rest of the live
> > OS on the disc.
> >

> Further research[1] seems to indicate that this is almost exactly what
> they're doing.
>
> [1] Adam pointed me at
> http://svn.mandriva.com/cgi-bin/viewvc.cgi/soft/drakx/trunk/rescue/make_flash_rescue?revision=263686&view=markup
>
> --
>        Peter
>
> The Shuttle is now going five times the sound of speed.
>                -- Dan Rather, first landing of Columbia
>
> --

I found another tool that claims to be able to search and boot a USB device,
from a floppy disk no less! The tool is called PLoP[1], and it is a custom
boot manager that can boot USB, CD, and hard disks.

Maybe that will help some people figure out how it is done.

[1]: http://www.plop.at/en/bootmanager.html